Marc Veldhuizen 01 / 06 / 22
After being closed to the public for two years, Keukenhof was finally allowed to reopen on 24 March this year. In the period up to and including May 15, over 1.1 million visitors visited the flower exhibition. In total, more than 1.3 million products were sold through the Ticketcounter platform; in addition to ticket sales, this season's Ticketcounter platform also offered parking tickets, hospitality vouchers and the park book.
"We are extremely proud that we were able to unburden the Keukenhof this year with our total solution, where the park used the Ticketcounter cash registers and kiosk in addition to an online shop," says commercial director Maarten Broens. "We are pleased that after two years of mandatory closure and partly in combination with beautiful weather, visitors have returned in such large numbers to this Dutch tourist icon."
Due to (indeed) the brilliant spring weather leading up to the opening, the park was an explosion of colours from day 1 and more people than expected enjoyed the beautifully landscaped flower beds. Despite the travel restriction still in place due to the Coronavirus, Keukenhof attracted visitors from over 100 countries. 25% of the visitors came from the Netherlands this year, which is an absolute increase compared to the 2019 season. The top 5 was again completed this year by visitors from Germany, America, France and Great Britain.
As a result of Corona, the number of visitors who travelled to the park this year by public transport buses decreased slightly. But because the Keukenhof uses the capacity and time slots module of Ticketcounter, the traffic flows in the Bollenstreek were easy to manage and there was virtually no traffic nuisance.
Due to the introduction of a maximum capacity for the number of visitors on one day, the park was completely sold out on eight days this season. The busiest was during the sun-drenched extended Easter weekend from April 14 to 18. For all 5 days, not a single ticket was left to be had. About 20% of the tickets were sold on-site during that weekend, the remaining 80% were purchased in advance through the Keukenhof's own online shop or one of their sales partners.
Final breakthrough online
In any case, this season can be spoken of as the definitive breakthrough of online (ticket) sales at the Keukenhof. Compared to the 2019 season, 40% more tickets were purchased through the Keukenhof's own online ticket shop during this season. The number of tickets purchased online through the in-house shop thus amounted to over 46% of total ticket sales. Total sales through the Ticketcounter platform (including sales partners and other products) even increased by over 47% compared to season 2019. We at Ticketcounter can therefore speak of an extremely successful Keukenhof season!News